What causes prolonged menstrual bleeding? We have searched for the answer to this question, which is very curious by women.
Menstrual period, which is very troublesome for every woman, can be a symptom of many health problems. We are talking about the case of menstruation, which is well below or above the values accepted as average. Experts warn! He says that abnormal situations can cause reproductive disorders in women or function problems in different organs. So what causes prolonged menstrual bleeding? What are the causes of prolonged menstrual bleeding? All the curious, Obstetrics and Gynecology Specialist Prof. Dr. We learned from Recai Pabuçcu.
It can be very short or long
Menstrual bleeding, which should last 4-5 days with an average of 21-35-day intervals in women with normal health conditions, may be seen more frequently or infrequently in some women, but may last very short or long.
Beware if menstrual bleeding is irregular
To be able to talk about menstrual irregularity in a woman, she must have frequent irregular periods. Because climate changes and short-term psychological fluctuations can cause menstrual irregularities from time to time, and in this case, there is no need to worry. prof. Dr. Recai Pabuçcu stated that long-term irregularities can also be caused by situations that cause stress and sadness such as excessive weight gain, malnutrition, sudden weight loss, separation, loss. noted that it may cause disorganization. In addition, abnormal formations such as polyps, fibroids, and cysts that occur in the uterus or ovaries are also considered as the main factors that cause menstrual irregularity.
Why does menstrual bleeding last so long?
Continuing his explanations on the subject, Pabuçcu; “In women with normal health conditions, a menstrual bleeding should last around 4-5 days on average. While menstrual bleeding that lasts for 3 or 6 days from time to time is not a problem, frequent, heavy and prolonged menstruation can be a sign of discomfort or anomaly. For example, menstrual bleeding lasting 7 days or more is considered longer than normal and the cause should be investigated. He listed the most common reasons:
1. The most common reason for menstrual bleeding to last longer than normal is hormonal disorders. The absence of ovulation in women, excessive thickening of the inner lining of the uterus, thyroid gland disorders damage the normal secretion values of hormones, and this can cause prolonged menstrual bleeding.
2. Pregnancy complications such as ectopic pregnancy or miscarriage can also cause menstrual bleeding to last longer than routine. In this case, menstrual bleeding takes a long time, but the normal process continues after that.
3. Benign tumors called uterine fibroids, polyps caused by the high level of hormones in women in the reproductive period can also cause prolonged menstrual bleeding.
4. Since ovulation will not occur in cases where there are deformities and dysfunctions in the ovaries, the regularity and intensity of menstrual bleeding may increase or decrease.
5. Cancer problems related to the inside, outside or mouth of the uterus and the embedding of the intrauterine layer in the muscle cells can also cause the menstrual bleeding to last longer and the amount of bleeding to be high.